It's currently 70 degrees in my house and I am feeling BLESSED! Such a nice relief from that Southern heat and humidity that always seems to overstay its welcome. It's official, fall is here (at least for today) and just in time to welcome this recipe for Pear Crisp with Cinnamon Spiced Ice Cream!
As you know, I'm a sucker for a good crisp. In fact, I even served apple crisp at my wedding in place of cake and posted a replica recipe on the blog this time last year! So when the Ceremony App asked me to create a recipe for their fall brides and grooms, I knew just what to make!
This Pear Crisp is spiced with ginger, cardamom and nutmeg and made with semi-ripe Bartlett pears. It can be made with pears alone or combined with a few crisp apples to make for a perfectly sweet dessert with just a hint of tartness. I always like to add chopped pecans and oats to the topping, for a little crunch, but they can easily be omitted if you have a nut allergy. While this recipe calls to use melted butter for the topping, you can also pulse the topping ingredients with cubed butter in a food processor or combine the ingredients with your fingertips. It will be good any way you work it!
Oh and let’s not forget to talk about this Cinnamon Spiced Ice Cream! It kind of reminds me of the Maggie Moo’s Cinnamoo ice cream I had growing up. It’s incredibly creamy, loaded with spices and the perfect compliment to the bubbling pear crisp. It’s also a breeze to make!
Okay, I’ll stop talking now so you can get to baking! As always, I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Pear Crisp with Cinnamon Spiced Ice Cream
for the filling:
- 5 - 6 semi-ripe Bartlett Pears
- 1 - 2 apples
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
for the topping:
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup, finely chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Peel and dice the pears and apples and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Next, prepare the topping. In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, oats, pecans, brown sugar, salt and spices. Stir to combine. Then, slowly pour in the melted butter and stir or use your fingers to combine and form a crumble.
- Pour the pear filling into your cast iron skillet (or greased baking dish) and smooth out into an even layer. Next, use your fingers to sprinkle the topping evenly over the pear mixture. Lastly, place the skillet into the preheated oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. Once baked, remove from the oven and let cool before serving. I like to serve crisp just warm enough to help the ice cream melt, but not too hot! Enjoy!
No-Churn Cinnamon Spice Ice Cream
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. vodka (optional, but helps with consistency)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a blender, combine the condensed milk with the vanilla extract, spices, sea salt and vodka. Blend until thoroughly combined and pour into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Next, place the heavy whipping cream into the bowl of a stand mixer and blend on medium high speed until fluffy and peaks begin to form about 3-5 minutes. Fold half of the whipped cream into the bowl with the milk mixture and gently stir to combine. Then, gently fold in the remaining amount of whipped cream and softly stir to combine.
- Lastly, pour the ice cream mixture into a bread tin and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Place in the freezer and allow to freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight. When ready to eat, let thaw for about 5-10 minutes on the counter, then serve and enjoy!