It’s Peach season. It’s grilling season. It’s dress weather. And I’m happy. Even though I made the mistake of learning how to grill last summer and even though it’s already 90 degrees outside.
I say mistake, because grilling season used to be like a mini-vacation for this gal. I’d prepare a simple summer side or two and then kick my feet up while my husband did all the heavy lifting. And it felt like staying at the Four Seasons, only better.
Until one day, I got the bright idea to learn how to do it myself. And I felt all excited and empowered, until I realized what I’d done. Like when your parents teach you how to do your own laundry and you realize you’ve been duped.
But in all honesty, I still love this season of cooking. I love the simple flavors of summer and the crunchy char marks of the grill. I love the way it invites you to eat al fresco and maybe pour another glass of wine. I love clipping fresh basil and dousing everything with lemon and how light, healthy and refreshing it all feels.
And I definitely love this recipe for Peach Caprese Grilled Chicken!
The idea for this recipe came to me after my friends at Greensbury Market sent me a shipment of their organic, free-range chicken breasts to try. I knew I wanted to create a flavorful marinade, infused with flavors of basil and balsamic, and then I remembered that everything tastes better with peaches on it, in it, atop it (insert preposition here).
So I took some hints from my favorite recipe for Peach Caprese Salad and voila! Flavorful, grilled chicken, topped with a round of mozzarella, fresh peaches, basil and mint and drizzled with a balsamic glaze. It’s light, healthy, delicious and a wonderful way to kickstart grilling season! (Even if you’re the one grilling.)
Peach Caprese Grilled Chicken
for the Basil Balsamic Marinade:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1Tbsp. honey, or more to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1.5 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped basil
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped mint
for the Peach Caprese Chicken
- 4 organic, chicken breasts
- fresh mozzarella, sliced into 4 rounds, 1/4” - 1/2” thick
- 2 peaches, pitted and diced
- fresh basil, chopped for garnish
- fresh mint, chopped for garnish
- balsamic glaze, for drizzling
- First, make the marinade. Combine the oil, balsamic, honey, garlic, salt, pepper, basil and mint in a bowl and whisk until combined. Taste and add more honey, salt or pepper as needed. Then, place your chicken breasts in a shallow baking dish or ziplock bag, and pour the marinade overtop. Coat the chicken with the marinade, cover or seal, and let rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight (longer the better!)
- When you’re ready to make the chicken, remove from the refrigerator and heat the grill to medium high. While the grill heats, chop the peaches, mint and basil and set aside. Slice your mozzarella into rounds and set aside. Then, place the chicken on the grill and cook for 6 minutes, reserving the marinade. After 6 minutes, brush the chicken with marinade, flip and cook for an additional 4 minutes. Then, place a slice of mozzarella onto each chicken breast and let melt slightly while the chicken breasts finish cooking or reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. (Note: You can also place the chicken under the broiler to quickly melt the cheese if you’re worried about overcooking your chicken.)
- To serve, simply plate the chicken, top with spoonfuls of the fresh, chopped peaches and garnish with chopped fresh basil and mint. Drizzle with a healthy dose of balsamic glaze and enjoy!